Law on Road
Foreign visitors from European Union countries, may drive in Kosovo with their valid domestic driver licenses. As to drivers from non-European Union countries, along with valid original driver licenses they should have International driving permits.
Foreigners who stay in Kosovo legal and have Kosovo’s ID cards may obtain driver licenses of the Republic of Kosovo.
The main road traffic rules:
- Traffic moves on the right side of the road.
- Overtaking is on the left side. It is not permitted to overpass on the road curve where the visibility is limited.
- Seat belts when driving are mandatory for all cars occupants.
- Drink and driving are forbidden; the permitted blood alcohol level is 0.05%.
- It is not permitted to use of mobile phones without hands-free systems while driving.
- The maximum permitted speed within inhabited zone is 50 km/h (If not specified otherwise, with traffic sign). Outside inhabited zones, the speed limits are: n the motorways – 130 km/h, on motorway – 110 km/h, on the fast road – 100 km/h, on other roads – 80 km/h.
- The speed limit for vehicle which tows the other broken vehicle is 40 km/h.
- The maximum speed for vehicles with front mechanisms longer than 1.5 m, measured from the driver seat is 30 km/h inside inhabited zones and 60 km/h outside inhabited zones.
- Foreign drivers must purchase local third-party insurance.
- On roads, it is not permitted to throw out the trash. Drivers are also obliged to remove from the road stuff that fall on the road from their vehicles.
- Vehicle, which is accommodated to be operated by the disabled person, must be signed with a special sign.
- At a bus stop, drivers must stop their vehicles behind the bus, when passengers entering or immersion from the bus must pass through the road.
- All drivers on both sides must stop their cars when the school bus is stopped on the road until children enter or go out from the bus.
- It is not allowed without reasonable motives to move so slow with endangering other traffic participants. On public roads while the normal traffic conditions, it is not permitted to restrain the vehicle speed under 40 km/h
- At junction approach, a driver must give priority to the vehicle which comes from his right side.
- At intersections, drivers who are going to turn on the left must give priority to vehicles coming from the opposite side, moves directly or turns right if traffic signs are not designed different.
- Drivers during the approach of bicycle passageway must give priority to the bicycle riders.
- If the green light on the traffic light has the arrow form, vehicles must move only on the arrow sign directions.
- The vehicle is not permitted to enter in junction if traffic density is such that vehicle may stop on the crossroad or pedestrian passageway.
- It is not permitted to cross continue white line.
- It is permitted bypassing of vehicles which cannot develop a speed more than 30 km/h on a flat road.
- It is not permitted to give sound signals within residential areas, except on the direct danger.
- It is not allowed to stop and park:
- on curves and main roads outside inhabited zones;
- in tunnel, under and above the bridge; closer than 15 meters from the tunnel and bridge;
- above the tram railway or railroad;
- at and within 5m from junction;
- on the bicycle path and pedestrian walkway and within 5 m of them;
- on the road along the full white line;
- within 10 m from the front side of the sign or traffic signal;
- on the left edge of the road;
- on sidewalk.
- Children younger than 12 years of age must be ridden on the back seat. Children under 5 years of age must be transported on the back seat in the special children seats.
- It is not permitted to seat in the front seat the person who is under alcohol or drug influence.
- It is not allowed to the driver to move out from the vehicle when the engine is running.